Saturday, January 3, 2015

Just touched down in London town...literally

I am writing this from my room in my flat which I share with an awesome roommate, we share the flat (think of a one floor apartment..but a lot smaller) with 2 other girls. We each share one bathroom, and the water heater is so old, it says to not have a shower last more then 10 minutes and to wait 30 minutes in between each persons shoer, should be quite interesting. But overall the flat is awesome, with a fully stocked kitchen and a cute little table and chairs and small couch. The only problem is that it is really old so the heater is through those wall heaters, the ones you were afraid to touch as a kid, there is no tv, and some of the floor boards are missing but aside from all that it really couldn't be better! I left last night at midnight after having my flight be delayed for 2 hours and landed this morning in London at 11:45 am London time with maybe a total of 2 hours of sleep that night. But I got to watch "This is Where I Leave You," (thanks for the suggestion Lexi) and got served dinner on the plane at 4 am....most of which I refused to eat. When the plane landed, it was going through a bunch of clouds, but when it actually broke through the clouds where I thought I would be able to see England, the plane was just 20 feet off the ground! That was a bit crazy. So once I landed at 11:45, I had until 1 pm to go through customs, get my luggage (which was a lot), and get to another terminal in order to make the shuttle to my apartment. Someone from the same trip as me who happened to be on my flight to London found me in the process and her and I ran through the airport, sweating, exhausted, and having such a hard time with all of our luggage. We made it to the shuttle at exactly 1 pm.....we got so lucky. There I got to meet 2 of my roommates, along with other students on the same trip from all of the US, and got to see a little bit of London from the bus. We then threw our stuff in our each of our flats and went on a walk around Kensington to see where we were living. It is such a quaint (Michael that means cute) town with little shops, my new grocery store called Tesco, and lots of street vendors. We got some groceries and made our way back to the flat where I finally met my last roommate and we all unpacked for a little bit (710 I have our picture of us up already) got to know each other, and then decided to go out and get some dinner the 4 of us. We went to a local takeout place, which we could walk to, and I wasn't ready to have the cod just yet, so I settled for a chicken sandwich and chips (fries), which was my first meal since barely being able to eat the plane food, I had;t even noticed due to running around all day. All four of us sat around our kitchen table and had a really good time. So far, I think I am going to really like it here. I have officially been up for 2 straight days and am forcing myself to sleep, we are going on a double decker bus tour tomorrow which should be a lot of fun! Goodnight to all (even though its just late afternoon to all my friends and family at home) and I can't wait to tell you more soon:)

No comments:

Post a Comment